Hoops and Freckles!

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Hoops and Freckles!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kate robinson 12 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

kate robinson
    Participant

Thankyou everyone for all the helpful advice.
    I might be teaching grannies to suck eggs – but here goes… I was trying to source hoops for netting and was horrified at the prices – my nextdoor neighbour then showed me her willow tree – sprouting many many limbs. Problem solved.
    I also found Freckles seed in the Sarah Raven seed catalogue. K

grannyjanny
    Participant

Hi Kate. Be careful the willow doesn’t root. It depends when it was cut. Several people on my daughters allotment site had rooted willow that they used for support. Have you heard of premier seeds direct, they do freckles & a lot more besides. Loads of seed for not a lot of money & only 59p P&P no matter how large the order.

kate robinson
    Participant

Hi Gran!
    How long should I leave the willow before sticking in the ground??
    Thanks for seed supplier name, will have a look today.

kate robinson
    Participant

Also heard that if you dip the willow ends in boiling water that will prevent them from sprouting….?

MonicaM

Just thought I’d add that I googled ‘freckles’ seed to find out what it was (my ignorance is astounding!) and up came a website not previously mentioned in this forum – £1.45 for packet – sowseeds.co.uk. Based in Cheshire. Good luck

kate robinson
    Participant

Thanks Monica, will look at that one. Freckles is such a pretty salad leaf – it’s worth a go!

Dazzerelli
    Participant

http://moreveg.co.uk is good for small quantities of seeds. They are selling packets of 75 Freckles seeds for 50p.

Darren

Debbie

I had great results when I grew Freckles in a washing-up bowl of Westland Organic Vegetable Compost last year. The leaves grow fairly upright, so it’s easy to pick cleanly, I found.

Debbie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags