Is this a disease on my onion sets?

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Is this a disease on my onion sets?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Rhys
    Participant

Charles

I decided to grow Sturon onion from sets this year and obtained 150-odd from OGC and planted them in modules on 23rd March to get them firing before planting out late April to try and avoid the allium leaf miner.

Now it looks as if some sort of fungus is developing on the outsides. In the picture, the two middle sets appear to have white growth and quite a lot of the 150 appear to be developing similar.

1) Is this white rot?
    2) As they have been in my lean to out of the rain since planting, could I have done anything to introduce the disease?
    3) If it is disease, is it most likely that these sets were already infected?

Never having seen this before, I withold judgement as I am not sure of my ground.

But supplying infected onion sets would be really unacceptable, particularly if white rot hangs around, is difficult to eradicate etc.

Rhys
    Participant

Charles, photos will not upload, so post is fairly pointless! Can you delete the post as moderator?

charles

Rhys please have another go, with photos of say 600-800 pixels and under 1MB.
    It sounds like white rot and I have seen it with both onion sets and garlic, so it needs checking before planting.

John
    Participant

Hi Rhys

I grew sets a few year ago and they did well until July when I noticed the white rot shown in the photo. Hope the photo helps.

John

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags