Japanese Knotweed

Community Community Garden Problems Weeds Japanese Knotweed

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

pixiebee

Hi,

I just moved to a new house with a 1.5 acre garden. I’ve noticed my new garden has Japanese knotweed growing in it and I’m looking for some advice on how best to deal with it. There is a small stand of knotweed (1m X 2m). It appears to be trying to spread itself and its full extent including small outlining plants is around 5m X 5m. I don’t intend to use this section of the garden for vegetable growing, but I did think I might put a herb garden in this area. My biggest concern is that it might spread itself further into the garden. I don’t want to use chemicals in my garden and I am enquiring as to what other options I might use to control it.

Any advice is very welcome.

Pete Budd
    Participant

Hi pixiebee; I imagine Charles is a bit busy to reply right now, (I`m sure he will). The absence of any other replies is probably because nobody likes to mention the `K` word in case it invokes the monster into appearing :-) Sorry but it really is a serious problem. Are you sure it is j.k? Apart from fastidiously cutting off all growth as soon as it appears I`m not sure if there is an organic solution. Have you any idea where it came from because if its in a neighbouring garden, it will always re-occur.

Cheers

Pete :-(

bluebell
    Participant

Hi Pixiebee Sorry to say you may have a real problem. Hope that you find the attached usefull. http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/wildlife/130079.aspx

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=218

charles

Yes Pete has hit the nail on the head, a horrible weed, I also hope it may be something else? I suggests you follow the RHS advice from Bluebell’s links. Incidentally I met Bluebell yesterday at my talk in Luton and it was lovely to put a face to the name, the talk was arranged brilliantly by Sahira.

Sahira Ward

It was wonderful that you came all that way. Lots of people have said how much they enjoyed the talk.
    Sahira

ashleigh
    Participant

hi, i have had JK in a city yard – it can damage foundations, the roots are that strong. but relentlessly cutting it back whenever you can does keep it from spreading further. as it was coming up from cracks in concrete and between the concrete and the house, we couldn’t get to the roots.

you can however eat the young shoots, there are lots of recipes on the internet, it can be treated like rhubarb. you will never be short of young shoots!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags