Keeping paths weed free

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Keeping paths weed free

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tim Villiers 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

charles

I had this from Tim:
    The paths between your beds are pristine with not a weed showing! Some four years ago, I made paths between my beds by clearing to ground, laying weed suppressant material and then putting about four inches of wood chippings on top. All was well for the first year or two – the paths did their job, looking good and enabling access to the beds with reasonably clean feet. However the woodchips began to break down and now have formed a lovely compost in which every weed seed takes root with alacrity, including deep rooted ones such as dandelions which pass through the weed suppressant material with contemptuous ease! It seems that my only option is to take it all up as soon as the ground gets a bit drier and start again. What advice do you have, please?

charles

Thanks Tim and you must, must pull weeds as seedlings if there is a membrane below, not to have that problem.

I never leave a membrane like that below bark as yes, you need now to scrape off the compost (onto beds), then I would remove the membrane and if you want, add new shavings/chips.

Where I have no wooden sides, my paths are mulched by blackbirds flicking compost off the beds as they search for worms (I would prefer not…) and it helps keep the path soil in good condition, then I pull the small number of new weeds.

Chode
    Participant

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I wonder what Charles thinks about using fresh (unrotted) horse manure for paths? I have access to some very well rotted horse manure, which I use for beds. There is also loads of fresh manure which has the advantage of being lighter and easier to transport (the rotted stuff can be heavy when wet, and I have to carry bags of it to/from my car to get it to the plot) – it would just be the smell in the car that might be the problem! I was thinking that a nice thick layer of this would make a good surface for paths, with it slowly rotting down over time, and would be easy enough to top up each year or so.
    Conor

charles

Good idea Conor, I would do that and the smell is fragrant.

Tim Villiers
    Participant

Thanks, Charles. Good warming work for February and useful additional compost for the boarded beds!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags