keeping tomatoes blight free

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables keeping tomatoes blight free

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

I have put my overflow tomatoes up on the allotment but other holders tell me they always get blight up there. Is there anything that I can do to reduce the chances of it? I woas wondering about covering in fleece, especailly given the weather this ‘summer’.

charles

I am afraid that fleece will not help protect against blight as it does not keep moisture off leaves, in fact it may make blight worse with some extra warmth. It looks unlikely this year that outdoor tomatoes will escape blight, with so much moisture around and temperatures now just high enough (above 10C all the time). The only preventative measure is to keep all leaves dry so you need a roof structure at your allotment: there is simply no easy way.

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks Charles, got me thinking about a summer use for an old showerscreen that has been over my strawberrys…..

dragonette

I’m just about to get a new shower cabinet, I think I’ll keep the old screen!! Good idea

Roger Brook

It is almost a waste of time putting the spare greenhouse tomatoes on the uncovered veg patch. So what do I do each year-waste my time!
    Four years ago I got lucky and had a bumper crop(Brenda is a dab hand at preparing and freezing them for winter sauces etc). Most years you start to get excited and the weather turns wet and in comes the blight!
    My strategy if I can call it that, is to let any outdoor tomatoes go mad, the glasshouse varieties grown outside, branch in all directions. I am aiming for as many early trusses as possible. If the weather turns seriously wet (I anxiously watch how wet it is) I pick as many as possible, most are green but will ripen on an indoor dry surface and they go to the freezer. Meanwhile we eat the lovely Sweet Million and Shirley from the greenhouse! I train those in the regular way.
    This year I only had three spare plants. Here in York we have gone really dry. Just my luck this might be another good year!

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks for your comments Roger, they were outdoor toms. Im not yet blessed with a green house. Sadly blight has swept through the allotments and so they are no more.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags