Large-scale soil preparation

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Large-scale soil preparation

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  peat 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Sylvie
    Participant

I have an area of about 1 acre that I want to make into a Kitchen Garden. I was planning to use a black plastic weed killing layer which would be left on until next spring when we want to start planting, however, the cost of such a large amount of black plastic or any other suitable alterantive that I can think of, is prohibitive. Could I just apply a thick layer of manure/compost where the beds will be and remove any weeds that manage to break through between now and next Spring?

If not, maybe someone could recommend a suitably cheap alternative to plastic.

Many thanks,

Sylvie

peat
    Participant

Friends of mine with a larger acreage used cardboard and wood chips. It worked well I think this is one of the ways permaculture uses to prepare the land. I have a smaller area and have used cardboard and potato sacks with success.
    Pete

beansy

Hello Sylvie,

We’re in the process of bringing a couple of acres into veg production, we have collected large amounts of cardboard, which works really well with a good overlap(though it does take a lot of time to collect – some businesses are eager to get rid of it) and a good layer of compost/manure on top. We are doing it bit by bit. We tried a shortcut using thick recycled Kraft paper to speed things up…it was a disaster, the dandelions thrived! We have also tried biodegradeable corn starch sheet mulch – but it also is expensive. I think I saw something Charles wrote which mentioned horticultural paper but I haven’t yet found a supplier and would like to ask him if he knows where I could get it and does it work?

All the best,

Debbie

charles

Nice answers here. 

In reply to the original question I would ask one of my own, why not grow some plants in whatever manure/compost mulch you may apply? There is no need to wait for everything to fizzle out underneath, grass and dandelions can be rotting away while your squashes, leeks, beans etc are growing on top. You need a minimum 4 inches organic matter for this to work though. Then, as you say, to keep removing any weeds poking through until their roots are exhausted.

Good growing!

Sylvie
    Participant

Thanks Charles and everyone else who wrote in with suggestions. I had thought about using cardboard but was put off by the amount we would need.

Charles, you have confirmed my thoughts – such a relief. One of my gardening customers (I am a self-employed gardener) had bought in a large amount of compost and he talked me into laying a thick covering on top of a very weedy area. Nearly a year later I have have been surprised at how few weeds have actually managed to get through!

I bought your Organic Gardening book a few months ago and love your no-dig philosophy, it really makes a lot of sense and makes my commercial Kitchen Garden project not quite so daunting. Very much looking forward to getting started.

Thank you.

Sylvie

Dosis

Today I laid down some black bin liners cut at the seams to give 2 pieces. I then put stones and pots with stuff growing in them on top of the bags. I then saw a frog and nearly s**t myself lol. I’m really happy I saw the little thing in my garden but I did get a really big shock. I’m hoping that the bin liners will prevent weed growth. Just read what Charles said. Off to buy compost etc now…

Grannyjack
    Participant

I use a lot of cardboard & a good source are builders & people renovating houses. Most – if not all – flat pack furniture comes in large boxes. My builder texts me when he is doing a job & I go & pick it up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags