Late broad beans

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Late broad beans

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dragonette 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

dragonette

I’ve been told that I could start a new batch of broad beans now (from seeds) but I might need to treat them against black flies. I don’t want to use chemicals. What would be a good alternative? When should I start treating the plants?

Thanks

charles

I think someone gave you bad advice, having never succeeded with June sowings of broad beans as they are then fruiting out of season and don’t produce much. Also, because out of season, the pests get interested!

This is a good time to sow dwarf French beans, even climbing beans can still be sown now, including runners, as soon as you can, in time for the warmer weather to come….

dragonette

There is an awful lot of bad advice being dished out at the allotment so I’m glad I checked. Luckily most of my fellow gardeners have planted way too many broad bean plants (somebody planted a hundred?!?) and they have told me to help myself. I’ll sow the broad beans in November or February next year.

French beans then.

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags