Leek seedlings

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Leek seedlings

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

bradon
    Participant

Hi all,

I have a question about some leek seedlings, but it probably applies to all seedlings really. I sowed leeks in modules, multisown – but too early now I think. They were sown 26 Feb – the same day I sowed also radishes, broad beans, lettuce and others. All those others have been planted out (and in case of Radishes, harvested!) but I was waiting for the leeks to get bigger, and they seem to have just stopped growing, or at least slowed right down. They are still more cocktail stick thickness – nowhere near a pencil! – and probably mostly 8-10cm high.

So the question for this knowledgeable community now is: I have 40 modules – will these small seedlings, which seem to have stopped growing, grow on faster than newly sown seeds? Should I just ditch them and restart (it’s not too late) – which do you think will grow on faster?

For information, they are a relatively early variety – Monstrueux de Carentan from Real Seeds.

Thanks everyone,

Bradon

Gwynleg
    Participant

Hi. I must say I have never achieved pencil thick leeks before I put them out, and I think that’s common. Yours still sound a bit small perhaps but do they have good length leaves and stem? If they do you could plant them out. I have only used the method though of dibbing holes and putting separate leeks into each, then watering them in without filling holes with soil.

If they don’t have good length I wonder about the depth of your modules? They may need planting on, or out to allow theem to grow and spread their roots

Jacqui
    Participant

Hi I think the seedlings have run out of nutrients in the compost. If they have a good root system I would be inclined to plant them out. Dip a hole and pop the whole individual module of seedlings into the hole.
    They will grow all together just fine. Maybe give them a boost with diluted seaweed feed.
    They only grow to pencil size if you sow direct into the soil and transplant them into deep holes back filled with water. The traditional way.

Cleansweep
    Participant

I find this method works.
    Sow seeds in week 13 (APRIL4Th) in module trays but thickly. Grow on for 6 weeks then prick out into a deep(6″) compost filled box outside, 1″ apart, in rows 4″ apart.Make the holes with a pencil.
    Water regularly and feed once or twice with compost ‘tea’ .In late June/early July, after broad beans or early spuds, apply 1″ compost, water heavily and plant out (as ‘pencils’) into holes made with 4 prong digging fork, using every other hole. Water again. Rows 1 fork width apart (9″).

Rhys
    Participant

I started sowing leeks and Zeebrune shallots in polystyrene tubs last year, which gives deeper rooting and continued growth for eight weeks to pencil size. JB Packaging sells a variety of sizes and depths.

As for sowing date, I have started sowing later to avoid the spring allium leaf miner breeding season: sowing after new moon in April is my go-to date.

Unless you want huge leeks, planting out mid June is perfectly timely and fits better with having an early crop first like radish, sprung turnip or broad beans.

Cleansweep
    Participant

Rhys,
    Those boxes are available,(for free!) from fishmongers,fish fryers and supermarkets everywhere. Smaller,but still deep ,from restaurants and sundry broccoli vendors

Rhys
    Participant

Yes, maybe! No fishmongers have traded through a retail outlet in my neck of the woods for twenty years! The other places seem worth investigating…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags