Length of life of Autumn Fruiting Raspberries?

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Length of life of Autumn Fruiting Raspberries?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Eleanor
    Participant

When I inherited my allotment 7 years ago, there was a row of neglected struggling autumn fruiting raspberries. No idea what variety or when they were planted. We gave them plenty of manure yearly and they have responded by multiplying and giving us plenty of fruit most years. They have become almost a weed–wandering into my asparagus bed and even the lawn, in spite of us putting in a barrier of boards at the sides of the beds down to about a foot.

Last year the crop was dismal, but then so was weather. And this year it has been not very productive at all, even with our glorious September. This makes me wonder if my raspberries have outlived their best productive years? Does this happen with autumn fruiting raspberries or with proper pruning and feeding, do they go on forever? Perhaps I didn’t give them enough manure this year?

Gardening Which talks about an excellent variety called Joan J, but even if I wanted to, am not sure how I could get rid of my now ever-larger existing bed of strong deep raspberry canes? Or whether I should just stick with what I have.

Any thoughts about managing my raspberries and increasing their fruit production greatly appreciated.

charles

I would plant a new bed on fresh ground if you have somewhere for them. Close to a grass edge is good as they are only invading one way into bare soil the other side. I find that hoeing keeps them in check. And I do think that they sound ready for a fresh start, you could use suckers for replanting any time until March.

Another possibility is to spread 2-5kg/square metre of rockdust on the existing bed to reinvigorate them, I have read that it can work. B&Q sell it now under ‘Verve’, £6 for 10kg.

Eleanor
    Participant

Thanks so much for this reply Charles. Will think about replanting. Would like to try a different variety. But interesting you say that you can use suckers for replanting. Is that because it is the soil that has become impoverished rather than the canes themselves?

charles

I find the canes of old plants go on well in fresh soil. I once planted some of my mother’s raspberry suckers, from ten year old plants, in fresh soil and they grew for twelve years.

Joan J is good, nice large fruit and there are other interesting new, autumn fruiting varieties, worth a try.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags