Lettuce varieties

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Lettuce varieties

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

MarkH61
    Participant

When I first purchased ‘Salad Leaves for All Seasons’ I followed the advice of Charles and ended up using ‘Bergamo’ and ‘Amorina’ as my lettuces of choice. Now they do not seem available at all.

I used to get everything from Suffolk Herbs who appear to have been taken over by King Seeds and the product range has been emasculated which is worrying.

I suppose Lollo Rossa and Lollo Bionda are alternatives but the taste is not the same.

Any views or advice welcome.

RayS
    Participant

I’m in Australia so the varieties available may not be the same but just in case …
    A favourite is Summer Harvest, though I grow it all year round. It forms a loose heart but I just harvest leaves as needed. Many of the oak leaf types have done well, especially Royal Oak. A soft, buttery lettuce that has done well is Laitue de Trémont. Salad Bowl Green is a great producer.

Karen Guthrie
    Participant

A favourite of ours is Reine des Glaces (Queen of the Ice?!) which is delicious and strong-growing.

fzjohnson
    Participant

I grow grenoble, all year wonder (? correct name) and Reine des glaces, but my favourite variety is “Waitrose” … don’t laugh, but I’ve grown the most delicious and long-harvest reds and greens by using the “living salads” punnet found in Waitrose’s fresh food/vegetable aisle.

Rhys
    Participant

Canasta works well and is vigorous. I got mine from Seeds of Italy in the past.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags