Mares Tail

Community Community Garden Problems Weeds Mares Tail

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  WilliaPool868 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Don Woolley

Charles please is there any other action beyond pulling out when ever seen, to eradicate this weed.? It has spread into my plot within the last two years. Don Woolley

charles

Don, I do not know of a remedy, apart from regular pulling or hoeing. It sounds as though there must be a vigorous patch of it next to your plot, which is fuelling the invasion? Can you mow or cut it, to reduce the energy of incoming roots? Or mulch the edge of your plot to create a no-mare’s-land? Some weeds are just maddening: I have bindweed coming in from a few edges and keep well on top of it but it is not getting any better; whereas couch grass is barely present where there used to be a lot.

Pete Budd
    Participant

I did completely clear one allotment of mares tails but its coming back in. My other plot on a different site is riddled with it but I cannot honestly say that it has a detrimental effect on any vegetables that I grow. I just keep nicking it out either with a kitchen knife, a trowel or just hoeing. I try to cut it as deep as I can get without disturbing the soil too much. It does help tremendously if the area is dug over, removing as much as possible in the process.

Pete

Don Woolley

Thanks Charles and Pete for those two helpful replies I’ll be persistent with it as suggested ,and it is no real bother, apart from the affront Don

Don Woolley

I have tried the suggestions for the last few days ,and find that probing with my old carving knife works well on land that has been walked over too much during sunny April,while probing with my fingers on untrod parts is much more satisfying ,especially when I am able to ‘walk’ my fingers down the root to wrench a longer piece
    Thanks again to you both for the suggestions

I have tried the suggestions for the last few days ,and find that probing with my old carving knife works well on land that has been walked over too much during sunny April,while probing with my fingers on untrod parts is much more satisfying ,especially when I am able to ‘walk’ my fingers down the root to wrench a longer piece
    Thanks again to you both for the suggestions
    cafetiere tassimo

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags