mature red/black currant bushes, what to do?

Community Community General Gardening Fruit mature red/black currant bushes, what to do?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  peat 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

SteveDevine
    Participant

Hi,
    I’ve inherited these large mature red/black currant bushesthat reach pretty much up to the top of the cage. The new growth all started this year at head height, so there was not much fruit and it was a nightmare to pick. Any advice greatfully received about how to prune them, or are they just past it and I should start again

Thanks
    Steve

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

tidy beard
    Participant

Hi,
    I also inherited some neglected black currant bushes when I took over my allotment, although not as tall as yours. After a very poor harvest I decided I had nothing to loose so I cut them down to 6” above ground and gave each bush a 4-5” mulch of compost. The following year produced lots of new growth and not much fruit but by the second year they fruited very well. Now I prune and mulch them every year as normal. I am obliged to replace any of these bushes that die because they border the main path through our site. Because of this, when I cut them back I took plenty of cuttings in case the parent plant didn’t recover. Judging by your photograph you have plenty of cutting material so that might be prudent, just in case. Good luck.

peat
    Participant

If you have three or more blackcurrant bushes pruning is easy. Divide them into three groups, eg every third bush or any other way. First year after fruiting cut the first third down to about three inches, second year the next group and the third year the last group. In the fourth year start at the beginning again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags