Melon seeds not germinating

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Melon seeds not germinating

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 5 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

al
    Participant

Hi I sowed melon seeds in modules in a heated sunroom 3 weeks ago no sign of a single germination from 15 seeds. It issue last years seed though still in date. Is it just too old or does anyone have any other tips?
    Advice appreciated

Geoff Turner
    Participant

I would suspect they are too cold. Instruction with my seed from Real Seeds suggests 25C. My squash, melon, cucumber and courgette seed certainly shot up in a few days at this temperature. I doubt they are too old: once again some info gleaned from Real Seeds – the seed saving instructions suggest they are good for 10 years

Cleansweep
    Participant

Have you got any more of the seeds? Try soaking for a few hours, then place in a poly bag in the airing cupboard for a few days, checking twice a day. Once they show signs of sprouting, gently plant and return to the cupboard. Check twice a day.Once cotyledons visible above surface, expose to light in warm (24 hr above 15deg C) window cill location.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags