Moles!

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Moles!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

davidkeltie

I’ve had no dig beds for some 3/4 years now and moles for the last two. The beds are riddled with tunnels. When planting from modules, I often poke the trowel right through into one and often find new plants are pushed out. I’ve just pushed them back in and by-and-large the plants don’t seem to be set back. Obviously the moles are enjoying the huge number of earthworms that I’ve got in the soil.

Should I just continue like this or am I storing up future harm (eg a surge in mole population)?

charles

Hi David, welcome to the forum,

I experienced a lot of moles in the 1980s, tunneling through many of my undug beds in a stony soil. As far as I could see, they caused almost no harm to the vegetables, and suspect that leaving their runs/tunnels alone as much as possible (not digging helps this) allows us to coexist.

Often I suspect there are less moles than we imagine as they are highly territorial. Sometimes it is aggravating when they push subsoil to the surface but I hope you can continue to live together!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags