Moth on garden pea – Silver Y?

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Moth on garden pea – Silver Y?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  al 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Edy
    Participant

I’ve noticed that leaves on my pea grown for shoots have gone ‘silvery’. At the close inspection it was lower surface of leaves being munched by (so far) tiny green caterpillars. After some researches I’m guessing it is Silver Y Moth. I must admit peas haven’t been protected with mesh as should have been. The infestation is quite serious and I suspect I will have to pull them out. Has anyone have any experience with this moth, and would protecting with mesh be the only option? Also Charles, what’s your opinion about sowing another batch of peas now (for shoots). I live in Somerset.

charles

Oh bother I had not heard of that moth and have not noticed it here. We just find the odd green caterpillar on pea leaves.
    It sounds like mesh is best option, also bacillus thuringiensis, see my Pest video for more on that.
    It’s late to sow peas for shoots but you will get some, just a lot less than from spring sowing, maybe try a few to see: they grow best in cool, damp summers and it’s going the other way I think this year.

al
    Participant

Hi I am a pea newbie growing Alderman supported as in Charles’ you tube video for which many thanks. We now have what I assume are pea moth caterpillars in pods when we open them. I have seen veggiemesh protection mentioned in other posts but can’t really see how you can protect tall peas like Alderman with mesh. Maybe the solution is to not grow tall ones!

charles

Sorry to hear that Al, it’s a bad year already for caterpillars and this is very early for pea month.
    Yes it’s pretty well impossible to protect tall peas. My only strategy is to have them cropping before moths arrive.
    Here when pea moths do arrive early July, less than 10% of pods have the little caterpillars, in say 2 out of 8 peas, so it’s not catastrophic.

al
    Participant

ok thanks Charles yesterday’s harvest about 50% of pods were affected but caterpillars were only a few mm long and some peas in the affected pods were still ok

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags