Mulching strawberries with straw

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Mulching strawberries with straw

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Asif 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Asif
    Participant

Hello Charles

I have a matted strawberry bed now in it’s second season. It was initially prepared on undug, weed free soil with a small layer of compost on top. I haven’t added a top dressing of manure/compost this year.

I’ve heard that it’s good to put a layer of straw underneath the fruit to stop it from rotting. Do you advise against this as it could potentially harbour slugs? If so, do you recommend an alternative course of action to protect the fruit?

Asif

charles

Asif, I understand any straw layer as more about keeping fruit clean. Yes I do see it as a slug risk, if slugs are generally a problem in your garden (not otherwise).
    Another way of seeing it is that the soil microbes on strawberries lying on soil/compost are good for our gut and digestion. Mostly the surface is dry at fruiting time but in rain one can simply rinse fruit, and always there will be good microbes, without needing straw.

Asif
    Participant

Thanks Charles. I really didn’t see it this way. I think I’ll give the straw a miss.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags