Mulching weeds out in existing asparagus bed

Community Community Garden Problems Weeds Mulching weeds out in existing asparagus bed

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  KJeffery 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

KJeffery
    Participant

Hello folks, I’m new to no-dig and have come across it in my quest to help make a community orchard easier to maintain. The orchard has an established asparagus bed which has been overgrown by bindweed in the last couple of months. I’ve got the No Dig Organic Home & Garden book which talks about creating an asparagus bed by mulching over weeds and planting asparagus through the mulch. So can I mulch around the asparagus in our existing beds, say with cardboard and polythene fabric, and get the same result in terms of killing off the weeds? Will it work the same way?

charles

The difficulty with mulching any existing plantings is that you can’t cover them or they die, eg the asparagus.
    Therefore there is light always sneaking in at the sides of isolated pieces of say cardboard.
    It still works but less thoroughly, and is worth doing, plus you must keep hand weeding.

KJeffery
    Participant

Thanks Charles, I will give it a go then. I don’t feel like we have much to lose, the asparagus was virtually choked by bindweed this year!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags