Mushroom compost

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Mushroom compost

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  sally_ann1964 5 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

sally_ann1964
    Participant

Hi everyone
    I have collected some mushroom compost for two new no dig beds in which I intend to sow my potatoes. However it is very fresh. Is it ok to plant potatoes as shown in Charles’ video making a small slit into this compost even though it has not had time to decompose? It looks like a mixture of rotted manure, straw and possibly peat and still has one or two mushrooms growing in it.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Sally-Ann

Carrie
    Participant

I believe mushroom compost is quite alkaline because of the lime (please correct if I’m wrong) and alkaline soils can encourage scab on potatoes. Having said that I inherited a few bags of mushroom compost last year which I put across a few of my beds which didn’t look fully rotted down but over the year this has settled and given a nice texture. A few mushrooms poked up here and there. Some of my potatoes did have a little scab on them but nothing major. If anything it’ll be good for feeding the soil overall and improving it

sally_ann1964
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Carrie. I might try a mixture of bought compost and the mushroom compost and see how that works.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags