New garden, mystery self seeder

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing New garden, mystery self seeder

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rbp 6 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Rbp
    Participant

Charles and team,
    I am starting my first spring in a new garden in Italy and the beds I created last autumn are full of these seedlings (see photo). It has been a very wet winter and soil is not in great condition. The seedlings are low growing and starting to branch out. I have identified other weeds but can’t seem to name this – can you advise what it might be so I can decide how to treat it?
    Thank you.

Cleansweep
    Participant

Not that good at guessing games but I would expect that to be Borago Offinalis (Borage)
    See:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=borage+seedling&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=BBRRxpLRVwWRBM%253A%252C1MoOU5tDkfTRLM%252C_&usg=__wanAL9QK7glhSaQJolxmdhRE5uA%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCtNO5tuzZAhUkD8AKHXG8A1YQ9QEIUjAD#imgrc=BBRRxpLRVwWRBM:
    Useful as a herb, as a pollinator attractor and I’m told , good to add to a G&T !! If you need to transplant them, use a trowel and scoop up as a root ball when not much bigger than now.

Rbp
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. If this were borage that would be great (I even just ordered borage seeds!) but I don’t see any wrinkles in the leaves. I think my photo may have been misleading. Here is another of a plant in place (you can also see my poor soil 🙂 just waiting for compost overlay, as soon as I work out what to do with these seedlings). Hairy leaves, red stems, the ruler is in centimeters.
    Thank you.

Cleansweep
    Participant

Unconditionally withdraw my suggestion in the light of new photograph!!
    Do not believe that I’ve ever placed my hoe to this, so am confident its not a common ‘nasty’.
    Will be pleased to learn when identified, is it in the UK. Thats certainly a rocky mixture you have- does it get better with depth?

Hawfinch
    Participant

Hi Rbp, it’s definitely not borage, as Cleansweep writes. I’ve sent your photo to a plant expert I know, if she comes back with an identification, I’ll let you know what she says.

beverley
    Participant

Hi Rbp

Is it forget-me-not? You can check against this helpful site http://theseedsite.co.uk/weeds4.html

Best wishes
    Beverley

charles

It looks maddeningly familiar, but finding a name is another matter! I picked some forget-me-not to compare. It’s similar, but not forget-me-not!

Rbp
    Participant

Thank you all for your responses. Thanks to theseedsite.co.uk weed identifier and a bit more googling I think we have an answer! Clustered Mouse Ear (Cerastium glomeratum). Looks like it’s got to go…
    Happy gardening.

Cleansweep
    Participant

Ah so its been determined, fantastic, perhaps I shall sleep better tonight!
    If as described, its an annual so off with its head . No flowering, no seeding, no digging, its a past weed.Another one bites the dust.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Rbp – it taken a while but the plant experts have responded. They did find that without any flowers it is rather difficult to identify the plant, but one of them also thinks it’s a Cerastium – good luck with dealing with them.

Rbp
    Participant

Thanks Hawfinch, I appreciate your efforts. Cerastium makes sense. I have “dealt” with them already, I don’t want to wait for flowers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags