New Zealand flat worm

Community Community Garden Problems Pests New Zealand flat worm

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

sarahkeast

Hi all, just found this forum and a huge fan of no dig gardening.

I started my garden 3 years ago, dug over land [yeah I know, hadnt discovered no dig at that point sadly] and was suprised to find few worms. Made raised beds and filled them with soil and compost.

Still no worms in last couple of years and found some ‘creatures’ that I later identified via internet as NZ Flat Worms. Suspect my neighbour has them too as when I have helped in her garden she has no worms either.

Soooo, I add compost to my beds each year and things are growing well, but still no worms. Is there anything I could do to rectify this ? Or to help the soil cope at least ? Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.

I am in Lancashire btw.

charles

Welcome to the site Sarah, I am fascinated that your no dig plot is (presumably?) healthy and productive, without earth worms. Is any compost and organic matter you place on the surface taken in by other soil organisms? Structure good as in soil with earthworms? Apparently the flatworms are not spreading out of the northwest as they like it damp; like it is here in fact, at present!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags