No dig beds for new flower borders

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground No dig beds for new flower borders

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ksb76 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ksb76
    Participant

We have just moved into a new build house with grass laid fence to fence. I am planning to put in new flower beds. Would building them in a no dig way (cardboard and then thick compost etc) over the grass work for flowers, as well as it does to create vegetable plots?

I suspect that the soil underneath the grass is a minimal layer of topsoil and that underneath that, who knows what lurks, but the likelihood of it being compacted from building is high. I would rather improve it gradually via no dig than get in there with a rotivator and destroy what little soil structure there is though.

charles

Your preference is good, I would card over then compost and plant, worms etc will gradually colonise the soil again.
    I would first remove any rubble on the surface and make it an even surface at least.

ksb76
    Participant

Fantastic – thanks Charles. Fortunately no rubble on the surface, just grass. Am looking forward to having a little more to offer wildlife than just grass!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags