onion rot

Community Community Garden Problems Disease onion rot

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

mvgoldsmith

If one has onion rot does watering with a patio cleaner prevent further problems ; and not having to wait 10-20 years before clearance of this fungus

charles

Oh dear this sounds bad. However I would not use patio cleaner which would do more harm (to soil life) than supposed good. I wonder whether you mean white rot? If so it does indeed stay a long time in soil BUT:

no dig contains its spread because infected areas are not dispersed around by cultivations

a one year break, with brassicas growing eg cabbage, kale, Brussels, has been shown to diminish its vigour; you could even grow some oriental leaves from August sowing, after all onions are cleared

spread an inch or two of compost every autumn/winter to increase soil health

I would then try onions again, just pull any diseased ones from May, as soon as you see the yellowing leaves, hopefully it will be only a few, and plenty of good ones.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags