Onions from seed

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Onions from seed

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Pete Budd
    Participant

My onions from seed were sown in trays in Jan and are just starting to get their 3rd leaf (ie including the seed leaf). Any comments/advice/opinions on when is the best time to plant out would be welcome.

Pete

charles

Hi Pete, I would plant them now as the weather is mostly favourable and they survive well as small plants.  I find that onions run out of nutrients as quite small plants in modules/trays.

zuf
    Participant

I’m hvaing good light conditions (grow lights for peppers) and if i sow onions now they will grow “quite fast”.
    I have no idea how fast as i have never start them from seeds.
    Can this be a problem later on, if weather is not good enough or is better to have bigger and more established plants?
    I’m thinking to wait a bit more?

charles

Perhaps, with warmth and grow lights, they would be ready a little early from sowing now. I find that without heat or extra light, they are ready by early April, from sowing now in the greenhouse. If the weather is bad, at planting time,, I cover the bed with fleece and growth is good.

charles

Perhaps, with warmth and grow lights, they would be ready a little early from sowing now. I find that without heat or extra light, they are ready by early April, from sowing now in the greenhouse. If the weather is bad, at planting time,, I cover the bed with fleece and growth is good.

zuf
    Participant

I learn a thing or two in the mean time.
    Onions from seed should not be exposed to long days and should be planted out as soon as possible in march/april.
    They need room temperature to germinate but then they need to go in place where soil stays cold, otherwise roots do not grow well and above ground growth is rushing.
    Charles, thank you for you answer.
    I have another one if you don’t mind… is it ok if i put down almost finsihed compost now and then plant these onions? I read they don’t like N from organic matter, manure etc.
    Just checking, but i think this is only problem if material is dug into the soil?

charles

No worries over growing them in almost-mature compost, most of its nitrogen is already water-insoluble, they may just be a little more leafy than normal.

zuf
    Participant

And here they are tiny little onions. šŸ™‚ They were sown on 10.2.
    Tray is 104 x 3cm holes and i got 4 of them. We want our onion during winter! šŸ™‚
    Vermicompost is my favorite sowing medium.
    Anybody else started with oninions?

onions from seed just germinated

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Zuf, yeah I sowed some alliums on 07/02/15 and the ones on gentle heat are coming through nicely. I used new horizons compost with some wood ash added – so far so good, although it seems many others have had trouble with new horizons šŸ™ Salad leaves were sown on 14/02/15; lettuce, dill, pea for shoots, spinach etc.

Best with those onions – four trays worth…that’s alot of onions!

zuf
    Participant

Charles, where do you have your onions from seed, in greenhouse? Does it freeze in there? They don’t mind?

charles

Hello Zuf, yes they don’t mind slight frost, but at the moment it does not go below -3C in my greenhouse and the trays above my hotbed are warmer than zero. Soon I shall move onion trays to staging without heating and then they may freeze a little at night, but our frosts in March are rarely below -4C outside.

Pete Budd
    Participant

This year I germinated my onions in a propagator at 17 deg C, in New Horizon on 02.02.15 and they were through a week later. On 10.02.15 I put them in a well ventilated unheated greenhouse, where they are making slow growth. So far so good but I`m still learning the mystic art of growing onions from seed. Last year I had them in a cold frame through a bitterly cold March and they all survived only to later fail quite miserably due to drought. One year I did very well sowing them direct in the ground in April but it was quite tricky keeping them weed free, in the early stages.

Sineadann
    Participant

Hi Charles
    I sowed onion seed in January about 7 weeks ago! I have only just bought your Diary and see i was way to early. Now with a very cold 2 weeks approaching ahead … heavy snow and very low temps… I’m at a loss as to know what to do.
    I have watched your onion video and just wondering if I should plant or wait or cut my losses and sow another tray ???

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi. Iā€™m making my first sowings tomorrow, hoping to harness the best of the full moon. So, if you opt for a new batch of sowings, your timing could could be good.

Sineadann
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. That sounds like a really good plan. I might try that.
    Charles has said that onions don’t like being left too long in modules but I wonder just how long he means? Mine are sown into Klassmann seed compost which is good quality about 5 seeds per 1 inch module.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags