Pea Shoots

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Suaz 11 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good variety of pea to use for pea shoots? I’ll be growing as cut and come again, and was thinking vigourous growth would be the most important thing. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Matthew

charles

Welcome to the forum Matthew, and your thought is good that a vigorous variety gives most shoots. I use Alderman and Tall Sugar Snap, from home saved seed off a few plants allowed to fruit and then dry.

It is pick and come again as shoots appear at all levels of growth, so pinching shoots works better than cutting.

Eleanor
    Participant

Curious–given the date (end of November) are planting indoors or outdoors?

Eleanor

Hi Matthew,
    I continue every year trying new varieties of peas to use for shoots. I have always found hurst greenshaft very reliable, cropping longer than other dwarf varieties. Due to the super warm autumn i fear winter salad might finish earlier than expected so did sow some greenshaft from saved seed mid nov which will hopefully overwinter for early plantings late winter and fill any gaps from oriental leaves or rocket. 3 seed per module, planted 20×20 in the tunnel. Robin

Thanks Robin. Yes I agree re orientals, although I didn’t have as much forsight as you! Thanks for the variety advice.

Hi Eleanor,

Just planning ahead, and getting lost in seed catalogues!! They rarely quote on use for pea shoots, only for pod length and growing manner.

Matthew

Thanks Charles, I’ve got 3 varieties to experiment with now!

Matthew

Suaz

Hello Charles,

Sorry for hijacking this old thread but I wasn’t sure whether my question merited a new topic. I’m new to the forum and to vegetable growing in general and ordered some organic Alderman seed online with the intention of using it for shoots as recommended in your book. However, it turned out that Alderman was out of stock and the supplier (Chase) substituted Pea Rondo as they had no tall-growing variety in stock. Is this likely to perform as well and be as delicious to eat as Alderman or would I be better off returning the seed and ordering something else?

charles

Hello Suaz, this is a good question. It is fine to use an old thread, keeps the information together.

I have not grown Rondo and it looks good for peas, but is the standard two and a half feet (75cm) high. If you want shoots, I would return it to OGC and ask for Sugar Snap pea on page 41 which is described in the small print as reaching six feet high (150cm), hence it will produce more shoots, from that extra desire to grow tall.

Suaz

Thanks Charles, I replied to your post earlier but for some reason it’s not showing up. I took your advice and swapped the Rondo for the Sugar Snap. Thanks for the suggestion.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags