Pest on Broccoli ( Calabrese)

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Pest on Broccoli ( Calabrese)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

My Calabrese, Cauliflower, Cabbage, and Kohlrobi has suddenly wilted. Intially I thought it was the hot weatehr but when examining further, the roots have been eaten by lots of little white grubs . like maggotts, can anyone help?!

charles

It sounds like the dreaded cabbage root fly. For some reason I rarely have many here but other gardeners who suffer them lay a round or square of card on the soil around the stem of each plant (about 8-12" diameter) which serves as a barrier to stop eggs laid by flies from entering the soil. It is too late in your case, usually a barrier is laid at planting, sorry!

Sometimes they are present, but scarcely evident because damp conditions allow new roots to form. Not this year, in the dry weather, when plants need every root to be working and struggle to make new ones – and after July we may expect similar problems from lettuce root aphids. Their only remedy I know of is water.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags