Planting new fruit in current conditions

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Planting new fruit in current conditions

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rocket Science 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

My fruit order is being delivered this week and I had planned to plant this weekend, however having looked at the forcast Im wondering if that will happen.
    How long can I reasonably keep them in a frost free garage? How warm does the soil need to be for it to be sensible to plant as opposed to heel in? My soil is quite light so I can normally get a fork/ spade in unless we are havign a really long spell of below -5 degrees but will frozen soil have an adverse impact on the roots?

charles

I would plant them just whenever you can get out there.

All their roots are frost hardy and being in final position will save the upheaval of being moved again. They will be fine, and better for being planted now than, say, on a warm day in March when growth is already underway.

Fruit trees and bushes are tough.I planted a bare rooted Bramley Apple last year with roots frozen. It grew fine last year.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags