planting out garlic/shallots

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables planting out garlic/shallots

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ChristineNewby 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

back in dec i planted jermor shallots and lautrec wight garlic into individual pots in the g/house. what kind of time should these be going outside

charles

They are frost hardy and can be planted as soon as the ground is unfozen, probably later this week. My garlic has survived well outdoors, from early October planting, and I have found it works well to plant shallots in March, although they can go in during winter if you prefer.

ChristineNewby
    Participant

I just wondered whether I could plant garlic and shallots now.  The area is high up the hill and a windy one too……..  Would you recommend mulching around the garlic/shallot plants or fleecing over them if planted now?  Many thanks.

Any time from now is a good time to plant garlic.  It’s very hardy and doesn’t need any protection over winter and produces bigger bulbs if planted in Autumn rather than spring.  If you’ve got any compost/manure then you can spread some straight after planting the cloves.

I’ve had success with shallots from seed. Multi sown in modules in Feb as recommended by Charles they grow vey well.  Madador F1(an excellent keeper) and Zebrune (long type) have been excellent for me this year. Seed available from Simpson’s Seeds.

Andy

ChristineNewby
    Participant

Thank you Andy.  We are in central Scotland.  We have already made the raised beds using horse manure and added sand for lightness. I hope now to plant the garlics and shallots as soon as the weather is dry enough!

Early Purple Wight and Provence Wight have been delivered along with Shallot Bitztro and Red Gourmet, and Red Cross Onion sets.  I have never planted onion sets before.  I hope some of these will survive.   As we do not have any greenhouse and tunnels yet, I wanted to increase of the fruition success and do without seeds for now.  Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags