planting rhubarb

Community Community General Gardening Fruit planting rhubarb

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ashleigh
    Participant

hi, i planted several rhubarb crowns about 3 weeks ago. i buried them by about 1″. a couple had buds on, the others were just the brown crown. since then they have been under 6″s snow, which should melt in a few days.

since then i have read other advice that says to make sure the buds are above ground. i’m worried about them rotting in the cold and wet! should i dig them up and replant them so that the crown is peeking out?

charles

Funnily enough I planted some roots at about the same time and in the same way as you, with most buds below the manure level. Usually after planting the disturbed soil and organic matter tends to settle, so I would not worry. Also the advice you quote is more of a pointer than a rule and I am sure the rhubarb will grow fine. It always tends to push upwards anyway as it grows.

Sahira Ward

Hello Charles

Unfortunately I failed to plant six pieces of rhubarb. They have been wrapped in paper in a plastic bag in my garage for about two months. There is a little dusting of mould on them but comes off easily, there does seem to be a bud on each piece. In your experience do you think they will be worth planting? I can send you a photo.

Kind regards

Sahira

Happy New Year

charles

I would plant them as they are clearly alive. Rhubarb is robust. Six will give you a lot of plants!

Happy new year Sahira and may your project continue to amaze Dunstable.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags