Quillquiña’ (Porophyllum ruderale) not germinating

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Quillquiña’ (Porophyllum ruderale) not germinating

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dragonette

Hello

I’ve been trying to grow Quillquiña’ (Porophyllum ruderale) from seeds (real seed company, usually very reliable) but my germination rate has been zero so far. I’ve tried to germinate them in the conservatory. Other seeds have done really well but not that one. Any idea? The compost is John Innes # and I check them twice a day for moisture level.

charles

They could either be old seeds with no life in them, or be a seed that takes for ever to germinate. I would keep waiting; also I have had problems this year with John Innes no.1, but it was a batch made locally in Somerset, they seem to subcontract the recipe to different makers. My sowings in J.I. performed worse than same seeds sown in pure cow manure!

dragonette

I contacted the real Seed company and they have sent me a new seed packet from a different batch. I tried again and sucess at last! The seedlings are tiny, I hope I won’t damage them when I move them.

charles

Well done, only I think you need a warm autumn to ripen any grain! Quinoa is not a belly filler in our climate.

sue pogson

I started growing these a couple of years ago and they spread everywhere once established – so look out for that – I’m still finding new growth in odd places. I live in Central America so fairly near the plant’s origin (if I’m right in thinking it’s Mexico)which probably helps. The seedlings remained tiny and frail for a long time, but the final plants are lovely, so good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags