Radicchio

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alan McAteer 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Alan McAteer
    Participant

Charles,

I have a good outdoor crop of radicchio growing at the moment which is heartening up nicely. I have, however, a plug-tray of strong young radicchio plants (5-6 leaf stage) and I am at a loss as to what to do with them. My greenhouse will soon be free once I have removed the tomato crop and my question is…’would it serve any useful purpose to plant these out in the greenhouse to over winter and would they amount to anything come next spring.’ I find the outer leaves of radicchio to bitter to eat and much prefer the hearts.

Regards

Alan

charles

Hello Alan, yes you could plant it after clearing tomatoes in the greenhouse. But it will make less dense hearts in the spring, briefly, before sending up a flower stalk in late April/early May. And yes the outer leaves are bitter but alright if diluted with other leaves. 
    In view of the warm weather you could still sow rocket and mizuna to plant by month’s end. I sowed two or three weeks ago and wish I had waited another week as growth has been so rapid. It means here that we will have a surplus of leaves in November as outdoor endive, radicchios and orientals are still cropping. Nice problem though.

Alan McAteer
    Participant

Excellent Charles, I will plant them out and do as you suggested and put in some rocket and mizuna. Preparing an outside bed at the moment for the garlic. I had a great crop last year and have saved the larger cloves for this years planting.

Alan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags