Rapid and exuberant germination and growth of Cobra beans……

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Rapid and exuberant germination and growth of Cobra beans……

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Rhys
    Participant

Charles

I followed your suggestion of sowing climbing beans between 5th and 12th of May, sowing on 6th, using my home made Cobra seeds.

I was rather adtonished to see 29/30 germinate within 4 days and then the plants become 15cm tall with gorgeous foliage within 9 days.

As I was not planning to set them out until 27th May, I wonder if I should so again or whether these plants will not be stalled by hanging on for 10 days?

the reason I ask is that the turnips are now creating roots so I would rather not harvest them prematurely to set beans out, not to mention that weather is not likely to be warm enough for them to thrive.

Runners sown the same day with commercial seeds are slower, with tall seedlings still waiting for good foliage to emerge……

charles

Rhys, you have such great seeds!! It’s true that home saved causes exuberant growth, mostly.
    I would pot them on and move to a cooler place.
    Maybe grow CN salad turnips next spring, sow mid Feb, mine are finished now, huge harvest.

beverley
    Participant

Hi,

What are CN salad turnips?

Best wishes,

charles

Check CN Seeds on google for their salad turnip variety which is named with numbers
    Early and sweet

Rhys
    Participant

Thanks for the tip. I am now harvesting turnip greens and the Cherry Belle radish harvest was superb – much more uniform than French Breakfast.

I am not sure of the sowing date for a 40 day Purple Top Milan harvest, but it is not in March in my garden!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags