Raspberries recommendations

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Raspberries recommendations

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

rain1960
    Participant

Hi I’m looking to create two new beds early & autumn raspberries, taste important any recommendations ? Have grown Autumn Bliss and Polka in past. What are yellow fruiting varieties like?
    Thanks
    L

charles

Autumn Gold has great flavour and is especially vigorous.
    For red varieties, Joan J is cropping well here, from late July to October: large fruit and thornless canes. Top flavour, juicy.

Andy
    Participant

I second Charles with recommending Joan J..Very large berries,sweet and crops from July.Beautiful !!

prt
    Participant

I would also concur with recommending Joan J as they taste superb. Mine are in a 1.2m x 4.8m raised edged bed and after a year or two the initial row has ‘disappeared’ and now the whole area has canes (which I do thin out). The other advantage I have noticed is that they seem to be contained within the bed and I don’t seem to get runners popping up in adjacent beds – something I see with the other two varieties I grow. The early variety I grow is Malling Minerva – these have taken a couple of years to get a reasonable yield but I find them not much earlier than Glen Ample which produces a higher yield of larger and better tasting fruits.

KevL
    Participant

Joan J for me too – great autumn variety

Dino
    Participant

+1 for Joan J, very healthy canes where all our others have died off.

lizzy
    Participant

Hi – I put in Joan J they fruited the first year and the flavour, compared to the other ones I inherited which I think are Polka plus I went round tasting from other allotment plots, is the best in my opinion; heavy fruiters and large. In fact I got fed up picking them !!

charles

Yes Joan J are superb, and thornless compared to Autumn Blisss

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags