Rats in Compost Bin

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Rats in Compost Bin

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Don Foley 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Don Foley
    Participant

I hot compost in a 1m x1m x 1m wooden Compost Bin.
    I’m having a problem with Rats getting in to it even though there is a lid on the bin.
    I am very careful not to put meat of any kind in the Compost so I suspect they are after the heat.
    Can anyone suggest a way of detering these nasties.
    I’m also wondering if I should be concerned about the “poo” they are leaving in the Bin.
    Don.

Pete Budd
    Participant

Rats are numerous at the moment, I have never experienced anything like it and I have been trying to rat proof my bins as follows; I put bricks around the bottom and stand the bin sides (pallets)on top of these, ensuring that there are no gaps. When the bin is filled I put carpets on the top of the contents and anchor the edges with timber and/or bricks. Its important to keep access all around so that any signs of digging or gnawing can be attended to. Having said that the rats are very adept at making entry holes out of sight, so vigilance is required. Good housekeeping will help and use the compost as soon as possible.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Pete,

I have pretty much done all that . I will take a closer look again in the next couple of days. There is no obvious evidence of where/how they are gaining entry. Could they be tunnelling in?
    Also, whats your thoughts on the rat sh1t they leave behind. I want to use this compost on vegetables in about 12-14 months time.

Don.

bluebell
    Participant

I recommend an air rifle – not much else works with Rats, I have even had them burrow under defences and I have seen where they have literally just eaten their way through thick plastic and chicken wire. 🙁

Pete Budd
    Participant

Hi Don
    I don`t think there is much to worry about but Im no expert, There has been a bit in the news lately about rats on farms and the health risks to farm workers but rats are always there anyway. I suppose the sheer numbers increase the chance of contracting something nasty. As bluebell says they are very tricky to deal with, we catch a few in Fenn traps but I get the feeling its just the tip of the iceberg.

Cheers Pete

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that.
    I was a bit concerned as I can clearly see their droppings.
    I haven’t had this problem before and I had thought I had made the bin vermin proof.
    I read during my research on this problem that if I disturb the bin on a regular basis they will soon leave as they prefer quieter areas and don’t like being disturbed.
    I will try this and see what happens.

Don.

SpadelessAde
    Participant

Hi, I’m also having problems with a rat in my (cool) compost bins. We’ve had to get the Rat Man out and he’s put some bait in one of the bins (where I’ve just started a new heap) and a cage containing bait outside the other (contains compost still rotting down). He was concerned as we have a dog and so this is what he advised.

My question though is this: will the compost be contaminated, either by the poison or by the rat’s droppings or urine – does anyone know please? He said there could be an issue with diseases carried by rats, eg leptosporosis, and I wonder whether I’m going to have to throw away all my lovely compost. That would be a huge loss for me.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi SpadelessAde,

The contamination is the issue for me also.
    However this is my current/working bin the contents of which will be transferred to another bin in June/July to continue composting for another 9-12 months (bagged in June/July 2016) and won’t find its way onto my veg beds until October/November 2016.
    Under these circumstances I believe any contamination will have been removed, but I would like some confirmation on this.

Don.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags