Rigid multi cell trays

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Rigid multi cell trays

This topic contains 26 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  JoshWhitlam 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Hi Charles,

I’m on a mission to find some multi cell trays that will actually last,

on the market gardening course you showed me a tray you were given by someone – it was tough and rigid, i would so like some of these trays , do you think the person who gave you the tray may know the source?

I’m fed up of self destructing trays, cracking plastic and the inevitable binning..

Dan

charles

Yes I agree and this company is the one http://www.containerwise.co.uk/propagation-trays-600-400.html and the trays last up to 15 years. But you have to buy a lot! (a pallet-load)

Also their smallest tray has 84 cells I think, most have126 cells or more. I have written to ask if they might make a smaller, equally strong tray for gardeners.

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Great site charles, they even have the elusive crates with holes in the bottom :) perhaps we could do a no dig group bulk buy at some point if the trays are not available retail.

Good idea to ask for a smaller version, although i am enjoying my 86×1.5inch (thin plastic grr) trays at present , good for longer rows of plants

Keep me in the loop on any news! :)

charles

So these 77L trays look interesting, 2 in deep and average size

http://www.containerwise.co.uk/propagation-trays-350-215.html

and David at Containerwise has offered them at £3.90 each inc VAT plus delivery, minimum order is 16 trays so I am doing that and it should be worth it for the time they last (15 years). Email them via their contacts if interested, mention David’s name and this offer.

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

great stuff charles! will send a mail

Lee

Just a heads-up that for smaller quantities andy@foodforests.eu was planning to sell these in quantities of one upwards though I don’t know his prices down at that quantity.

Looking at the photographs, they are the same class of trays.

They are available in a wide range of cell-sizes. I recall seeing an eight-cell tray in November 2013.

Lee

Anne Wood
    Participant

Dear Charles,

I had forgotten I had put this link up and have done nothing about it myself. So was very pleased to read your post. Have the 77L trays arrived yet? I would be interested to hear how they work out and will be ordering some if your comments are good. They look deeper than your normal trays I wonder how removing the plant plug will go?

best regards

Anne

charles

They are strong, no problem there, but the small hole at bottom means I often need a pencil to push the compost up when planting. Otherwise good, I may try drilling a larger hole…

Rhys
    Participant

I was down at a garden centre today and there were lots of flowers and young vegetable plants being sold in polystyrene moulds, 12 or 24 slots per tray. I bought a couple for the moulds!

The firm is Styropack (www.styropack.co.uk) and you can get 12 or 24 slot trays for £1.50 odd inc VAT + delivery, mimimum order size 60 units.

There are clearly other products based on the horticulture pdf document, but details are not available at the online shop.

Clearly you would not make a fortune being a reseller at Homeacres, but I would certainly have bought a dozen from you when attending a course.

I shall speak with local folks at the launch event for Hillingdon in Bloom in April to see if enough interest exists to place an order.

charles

Thanks for this Rhys!
    I wish they would make a 40 cell tray but 24’s re not bad. I really appreciate your thoughts, love the way you bought plants for the trays! Keen gardener.

Rhys
    Participant

I think they probably do do a 40 cell tray, maybe bigger too – I am going to phone them up to find out exactly what they do have.

The flowers were £3.50, so I paid £1.50 for the moulds and 15p per pansy plant!

Shaun Pearce
    Participant

Did you get the 77L trays Charles? I’m thinking of getting some and have contacted them about it. Do t know if I should get 77 or 40.

Did you manage to drill a hole bigger to?

Rhys did you phone the company about the other trays to see if they do a 40?

charles

The 77’s are not brilliant, I still prefer polystyrene 40s and they may be on eBay

jon
    Participant

I’m tentatively thinking of ordering a 60x case of the 24 cell polystyrene trays mentioned in the styropack post above. This would be to keep maybe 15 myself and then sell the balance on in 5 or 10s. I would do this at cost (both sets of postage plus cost of trays.)
    Just to gauge if there is any interest here, obviously no commitment till you know exact price etc
    cheers
    jon

Kevin
    Participant

Hi,
    I had a behind-the-scenes tour of a local plant nursery today. What was interesting is that they say they grow all their own bedding plants but most of them are bought as plugs from Holland and then they pot them on at the nursery. The plantsman said 90% of nurseries in the UK do this. So I asked what happens to all the module trays that the plants come in. He said they use some for cuttings and recycle the rest – I asked if I could have a few and they gave me some. The standard seems to be 2cm plugs in 77s, so quite large trays but I can cut them into smaller sections to fit on my window sills. They are quite sturdy and if they break after a couple of years I’ll just go back and ask for a few more. Worth asking at your local nursery if they have any spare.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags