Rogue Blackberry Bush

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Rogue Blackberry Bush

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Hanniball 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hanniball
    Participant

I have a segregated area on my Allotment which is completely covered with bird netting that contains black, red and white current and gooseberries plants. It also has a thornless blackberry bush (not sure of the variety I’m afraid) on one side, which is producing a huge crop of really big, sweet and succulent blackberries this year.

My problem is that the upper support timber for one side of this area has rotted and collapsed in the past and has not been replaced. This is the side where the blackberry is growing and consequently the plant has grown through the bird netting… A repair to the area is possible, but I would need to cut a fair amount of the blackberry away to free it from the netting, which I want to keep intact to stop the birds.

My question is – How much can I safely cut away without permanently damaging this very healthy plant?

charles

Your blackberry will be fine, they tolerate a lot of pruning so cut as much as you need to protect the netting. The impact is on next year’s fruiting rather than the plant’s health but even then you will have fruit from the ‘inside-side’.

Hanniball
    Participant

Cheers for this and apologies for the late reply… busy collecting cardboard and manure!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags