Runner beans in a temporary raised bed made of plastic pots

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Runner beans in a temporary raised bed made of plastic pots

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Sahira Ward

Hello Charles

I’m making the a runner bean archway over a public footpath. The height must be at least 2.1m tall for health and safety regs. I have four posts each 70mm x 180cm and will be covered in 90cm gas pipe which is the shape of a curve to give the effect of a yellow rainbow. There will be two arches knitted together with green chain-link fencing which is about 90cm wide.

Please can you tell me how may runner beans plants I can grow in a pot measuring 46cm x 40cm tapering down to 30cm at the base. I will have four of these pots in total sunk into the soil 20cm for stability. Do you think I should remove the base of each pot so the roots can grow into the soil or are the pots big enough? Would Czar be a vigorous climber as I have seed from last year, if not what variety would you recommend?

Kind regards

Sahira

bluebell
    Participant

I would think that the limiting factor would be your willingness to water if we get a warm summer. Czar grew well off the top of 8 foot tripod last year before I pinched the top out. Cant see the height being a problem – but you may have to stand on tip toe to pick :D

Sahira Ward

Hi Bluebell

If this rainbow arch actually works we will have lots of little kiddies thinking it’s larlar land watering, and entertainers on stilts harvesting the beans. Do you think the raspberry canes should be showing any signs of growth yet?

bluebell
    Participant

it always gets hot and dry when Im busy or on holiday! Hope you have better luck with that.

Don’t think mine have started to do anything yet (unlike the jostaberry that is going great guns and almost in leaf 😮 ) Yours wont be early – you only just planted them! Hopefully they will be busy putting down a great root system.

Love your imagination, no wonder you are inspiring so many people!

Sahira Ward

Now that’s going to be interesting! My six lesson plans were submitted and the school said they were very detailed and told me not to be disappointed if the children are not as enthusiastic as me, we’ll see!

What is a jostaberry, do they propagate easy that was a hint by the way.

Can you come over on 2nd March it’ll be our 3rd Public work morning 10 -12noon. We’ll be playing mud pies with the herb spiral if this rain doesn’t ever stop.x

bluebell
    Participant

It is a cross between a blackcurrant and a gooseberry. Produces lots of large blackcurrants effectively. It does appear to be much more vigorous and productive than my blackcurrant. Don’t worry I took cuttings of all my soft fruit this winter and you are welcome to what ever you want :) Assuming they take of course!

Not sure about 2nd yet as having to do that thing that pays the bills all week at the moment so fitting in growing is a bit of a luxury 😮

Im sure the lessons cant fail to be fun! Sahira now you are such an experienced public speaker about incredible edible, would you consider talking to our U3A gardening group?

Sahira Ward

Hello Charles

After reading your advice on French and Runner Beans in containers – spacing in your book please can you confirm that you would only plant two in each of the pots.

Regards

Sahira

charles

Yes Sahira I do suggest two plants each for your containers and I would definitely remove their bottoms, or enough of them so that roots can travel down and around to find more moisture and food. Good luck with it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags