Rust on Garlic

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Rust on Garlic

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jjat8cv
    Participant

My garlic is badly affected by rust. I had considered digging it all up as I was told it would not grow any larger. If I leave it in could the rust spread to my onions and leeks which are in the same bed and can the infected leaves be composted or should they be disposed of.

Christine
    Participant

I just pulled my garlic due to rust. I believe you can compost leaves no problem but I think you leave them on til the bulb is dry (about 2 weeks). Only going by what I can remember from videos so hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong. Bulbs are a little small which is disappointing but apparently totally useable.
    I have a tray of leeks ready to go in but I am guessing this might be a bad idea as too similar to garlic and will likely get infected?
    I also have a tray of brassicas would this be a better option?

JD
    Participant

Probably best to go with the brassicas as it’s a different family. Just pulled my elephant garlic too as it didn’t look happy. Never grown it before so can’t comment on likelihood of rust contamination.
    Enjoy your garlic
    Jan

charles

Badly rusted garlic is best harvested now. Small bulbs, still tasty.
    I compost the leaves.
    Nearby onions and especially leeks may start rusting and it’s worth deleafing the orange leaves.
    Jan’s advice is good, floow with brassicas, beetroot etc

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags