Sacrificial raspberries?

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Sacrificial raspberries?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

compostpope
    Participant

I need to move some established summer fruiting raspberry canes on my plot. I’ve already cut down the canes that have fruited this year, so I will be moving canes that will hopefully bear fruit next year. At the moment they are about 5 to 6 feet tall. I’m assuming late autumn or early spring is the best time to do this, and I am planning to keep the root ball as intact as possible….

Do I have to cut these canes down to a foot as you do when planting newly bought canes, in order to encourage root growth – thereby losing next years fruit?

Compostpope

charles

maybe move them asap now, intact with no pruning, so they have more time to establish for fruiting next year

compostpope
    Participant

Thanks Charles.

I had’nt considered moving them until the autumn when they will be dormant, but take the point that moving them now will give them longer to get established.

Compostpope

Sahira Ward

Hi Compostpope

Did you move your raspberries and if so how did it go?

Regards

Sahira

compostpope
    Participant

Hi Sahira

Afraid I’ve not got round to it just yet….

Compostpope

Sahira Ward

Thank you for your honest reply, Compostpope My problem is that I have to move my raspberry canes to our community garden from my allotment and I really need them to fruit next year without fail. They are in such a mess at the moment I might as well do it now, as Charles says it will give them more chance to root.

Regards

Sahira

charles

and rain this w/e will help them re-root!

compostpope
    Participant

I finally got round to transplanting them yesterday. Can I still expect some fruit next year? – or should I cut my losses and the canes to encourage more growth for the year after….

Compostpope

bluebell
    Participant

I moved some last September and cut them right back. They did produce a few fruit this summer and look to have established well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags