Slug or Bird Damage to Cabbages?

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Slug or Bird Damage to Cabbages?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

macson
    Participant

Hi Charles,

I’m having a problem with some young cabbages bought from a local Garden Centre and planted about a month ago in a shallow trough. I was just not organised enough to grow my own. Definitely next year! I think I may have introduced some bugs into my garden. Something is eating them. I thought it may be bird damage, so I have covered them in netting.

The photo shows the damage. The damage looks too random for slugs. I do have other cabbages in a raised bed which have less raggedy cuts in the outer parts of the leaves and also holes. These have been covered with butterfly netting since planting so birds cannot get to them.

It hasn’t been under about 8 – 10 degrees c for a couple of weeks, even overnight here in the South of England, so I presume the slugs are still enjoying the warm weather. When will they go away?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

charles

You have pigeon damage there macson, perhaps a slug hole too on left. Good you netted them, they will regard if more slowly.
    Slugs never go away but they slow down in winter!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags