Slug, snail trap – using bakers' yeast

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Slug, snail trap – using bakers' yeast

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Neilfrazerm 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Kevin Anderson
    Participant

There are probably many of you, like me, who suffer slug and snail predation.

This recipe, without nasty chemicals, might be of interest. It is simple to prepare, safe to use, and VERY cheap.

As you might know, snails and slugs are attracted to the smell of yeast. This accounts for the use of beer in the garden: the leftovers from a bottle or can, can be poured into a suitable container (eg. a discarded 200ml food container) and placed amongst your seedlings or plants to trap and down slugs and snails attracted by the heady yeast aroma.

However, this recipe uses bakers’ yeast and not beer, and does not depend on leftovers at the bottom of the bottle or can.
    4 cup 8 cup
    version version

water* 4 cups 8 cups
    flour 4T=half a cup 1 cup
    sugar 2t 4t (= 1T)
    yeast 1t 2t

*water should be tepid. If you put your finger into it, it should not feel cold.
    T = tablespoon
    t = teaspoon

If your schedule permits, you should make it up several hours before putting it into containers in the garden.

If rain is forecast, I advise that you put a suitable cover on top, allowing – of course – for snail and slug access.

As an “umbrella” for my containers, I use chipped or cracked plates or bowls. I suffer strong winds from time to time, so I weigh my covers with a rock, half brick, piece of wood/metal, as convenient.

The brew has potency for about 2 nights, and after that the yeasty odour evaporates, minimising its attractiveness to snails and slugs.

I hope that this is of interest.

Kevin

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for sharing this. I will have a go shortly to try and protect my greenhouse winter greens. Have you tried it yourself? If so, how efficacious is it?
    Thanks
    Neil

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags