Soil blocking

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Pavol 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Collin
    Participant

I just got some soil blockers and have done some research on recipes. To me they all seem a little more complex than I’d like. Does anyone have some advice on making different mixes. I’ve heard that you can make a mix that becomes too solid and roots can’t penetrate properly or on the other side to soft and it crumbles prematurely.

Wellies
    Participant

What are soil blockers ?

Wellies
    Participant

I looked it up. That is an interesting idea. :o)

Allan Took
    Participant

Hi Colin I used to work on a nursery that made hundreds of thousands of blocks using a commercial peat based blocking compost. This worked really well and is still available online. It is very expensive. I have tried using ordinary potting compost with lots of added water as per YouTube. I have had generally poor results and have now abandoned the idea. I will stick with modules

pete
    Participant

Check out Bare mountain farm on you tube.

Mick104
    Participant

I have used a soil blocker for two seasons now and I love it.
    My mix is 50% of my own compost (sieved) 50% peat, I also add a little perlite . Unlike some people (youtube vids) I only plunge the blocker in to the mix once this gives me a block which holds together and roots can penetrate easily .

Pavol
    Participant

Hello Mick,
    Do you experience any mold on the soil blocks? Do you somehow sterilize your compost before the blocking? I have some serious problems this year with the mold, see my other thread.
    Thanks
    Pavol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags