Soil p h

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  clive f 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

clive f

Charels do you ever check the p h of your soil ?

charles

Hello Clive

Actually not but I know it is alkaline because all the buildings here are of limestone. Recently I did have a test of organic matter and they told me the pH is 7.3.

Any figure between 6 and 8 is acceptable for vegetables and I would not do a test unless something looks wrong in surrounding growth. I never use lime and would only consider it for pH below 6. Or then one could grow lovely blueberries! Also potatoes are clean of scab in soil below 7, but brassicas do better in slightly more alkaline soil. If you can get organic matter to your plot, it is most practical to maintain health with compost.

clive f

Charles the reason i ask is because we have clubroot on our allotment site and the only way we can get a crop of brassicas is to put a handfull of lime in the planting hole and one around the plant when we plant out, would this not be practical in a no dig system ?

charles

Ah then it is a good plan to continue with liming in the hole. Same result whether digging or not digging.

My advice on lime applies in either case but I did not realise you have clubroot in the soil, a problem which I have not actually experienced here.

clive f

Thank you for your advice Charles

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags