Sprout newbie

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Sprout newbie

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  al 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

al
    Participant

Hi I am growing sprouts for the first time they are protected with butterfly netting but don’t look very healthy covered in black stuff on the leaves and sprouts and tiny white flies too- would be interested to know what these pests are and how to deal with them
    I planted them out in spring – do they take the whole season to come to maturity? most of the sprouts still look too small to pick
    Also a quick Q re bacillus thuringiensis- I have sprayed a couple of times with this but it smalls awful – frankly a bit liike stale urine – I am hoping I have not bought the wrong product it looked genuine enough

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

charles

Alastair it’s caused by shortage of moisture, leaves are stressed and insects dive in. Aphid residues accumulate mould.
    Your remedy is water if you have some, but first tidy plants by removing all lower leaves to compost.
    A water jet over the leaves will tidy them, plus the roots need a good drink.
    And it’s early yet, for harvests.

al
    Participant

Oh great thanks very much Charles will try this. I have removed all yellow leaves I have read suggestions to remove healthy leaves too til nearly the top of the plant- is that a good idea?
    Also does the smell of BT sound right?
    Many thanks again
    Alastair

charles

No leave healthy leaves on. Only remove aged leaves.
    That does not sound right about a smell from the Bt, not strong anyway.

al
    Participant

OK thanks again

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags