Squash plants growing northwards….

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Squash plants growing northwards….

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Rhys
    Participant

Just an observation that aligning squash plants right when planting out may be more important than I thought.

My two Red Kuri squash plants are growing beautifully southwards towards the sun.

However both my Crown Prince plants are growing due north straight away from the sun!

Until this happened I did not realise that this was possible!

Can only assume that the growing tip is already defined when in pots and they need pointing due south to get the growth direction you want.

Interesting to see if we get a good crop regardless….

Cleansweep
    Participant

Perhaps they are heading to meet in the middle?

charles

Rhys I have some growing south, and some in other directions, so may be a coincidence.

Rhys
    Participant

Actually they are growing away from each other!

Rhys
    Participant

Yes, it is just that my beds finish 75cm from a neighbours fence so one plant cannot have free rein to go north!

I put my four plants at 500cm, 375cm, 250cm and 125cm from the southern end, hoping they would all grow south.

Now I must hope one plant starts growing miles east-west along the northern boundary path!

Gwynleg
    Participant

Hi Rhys. You can move the ‘runner part of the squash plant where you want it. I have on occasion lost labels and planted a squash in a smaller space thinking it was a courgette. I’ve then moved the plant almost so it goes round in circles around the rooted bit. Works fine – or just gently point it in the right direction when you see it going astray….!

Cleansweep
    Participant

28 day update.
    Close monitoring has led me to observe that:
    a) There is no obvious directional inclination demonstrated.
    b)There is no pattern correlation of direction by species.
    No solar/polarity influence seems to dominate.
    c) They are all accellerating after Junes rainfall !
    d)They just seek to escape!,
    the butternuts are aiming/aligned to clear the 6ft Mesh boundary fence

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags