Starting Parsnip in Modules

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Starting Parsnip in Modules

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ruth noble 5 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tdcanam
    Participant

Is there any practicality in trying to start my parsnips in trays or is it a complete waste of time? I have looked all over and most say it is a bad idea, but I remember reading somewhere that it can be done and it has its benefits. Am I way out in left field on this one?

Mick104
    Participant

I did this three yrs ago to prove it was a waste of time. Have photo evidence somewhere. I planted the seed in 55mm plugs, planted them out when still quit small. The result was small round parsnips which had forked at 55mm . Not worth the effort .
    The attached photo shows the roots after growing in the garden for three months with the tray I started them off in .

Mick104
    Participant

Just had an upload error, so here we go again

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

ruth noble
    Participant

Hi, i have started parsnips in toilet roll inserts which has worked well, with little stumping (if that is the right word). I tried direct sowing but with such a bad strike rate, i am going back to the roilet rolls. You need to plant them out by plantimg the whole thing into the ground when there are two or three leaves, but by then they have a chance against my slugs. I tend not to totally fill the rolls with compost so that there is a little barrier above the soil. Well worth trying.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags