strawberries

Community Community General Gardening Fruit strawberries

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sahira Ward 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

hello charles hope all is well in the garden.

i have a strawberry question. after cropping and taking runners for new plants i sheared them back. they have now regrown into huge leafy masses with lots of runners. is it ok to chop back again

charles

Yes it has been a good summer in this area for growing leaves, but leave them now as these leaves are still feeding the crown of roots, except for pinching off runners to prevent new plants rooting

Sahira Ward

I just wanted to check if I should tidy up and remove the old leaves,runners and decaying fruit before applying a top dressing of compost/manure? Would the decaying matter break down and become a food source for the worms?

Thank you

Sahira

charles

Hmmm up to you….

in my plot I would, to keep slug numbers down and remove any rooted runners.

Sarah Bell

Lovely to find a question which has just been posted and answered that was concerning me aswell – re strawberry leaves..

charles

Hi Sarah

This forum puzzles me sometimes, it looks like you are referring to the question above but it was posted in September, so I think you must mean the recent question below! i.e. tidying yellow leaves, a good plan, leaving the green ones.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags