Strawberries with other soft fruit

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Strawberries with other soft fruit

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ashleigh 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

weedkiller

Can I grow strawberries directly under my othe soft fruit bushes? I have raspberries, goosberries and currents.

charles

You can and they will grow but there will be less fruit than if grown on their own. Best done if you have only just planted some small soft fruit bushes or raspberry canes; but if they are mature, with their roots therefore colonising all soil around their perimeter, the strawberry plants will be unable to grow large.

weedkiller

Thank you for the reply.

The soft fruit bushes I have planted were bare rooted ones and I have only planted them a few days ago, so the ground round them looks empty and it just seems to be a waste. If I plant the stratwberries there, this year I suppose will give me a good yield but next year not so much, righ? Or it is better just to plant them on a sepearte bed of their own? Is there anything else I can grow under my soft fruit trees?

charles

Good plan, I would grow spinach, salads, early carrots and beetroot, any small vegetable so not winter brassicas, courgette or chard.

weedkiller

Thanks. I think I will plant garlic then.

ashleigh
    Participant

garlic is a good companion plant for raspberries, it supposedly reduces fungal disease. actually it’s a good companion for almost everything except for legumes, if i remember right.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags