strawberries

Community Community General Gardening Fruit strawberries

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  TracyM 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

tess

Hi, can anyone recommend a good, tasty everbearer please. The choice is bewildering! We’ve got some lovely plants that ripen in late June (don’t know variety sorry we inherited them) so am looking for something to lengthen the season. Many thanks Tess

ladbrokes

try cambridge favourite

charles

Cambridge Favourite is a June bearing variety (nice fruit!) and barely crops after that, while everbearing ones crop mostly from late August to September, after a smaller crop in June and early July.

I found Everest was good last year and it is meant to be a ‘climber’ but that is debatable (and clever support is needed).

The french strawberry Garriguette was excellent for me last year. Does anyone know of heritage varieties?

Natures Babe

I think flavour depends more on how the strawberries are grown, rather than the variety.
    I have grown quite a few varieties, outside in humus rich soil, after a manure mulch in autumn, in the sunshine, they need enough water, but not too much, and they all taste delicious, far better taste than commercial tunnel grown ones, as my friend remarked today.

TracyM
    Participant

We grew Albion this year, it’s still fruiting well and is delicious. They have been left to do their thing with regular weeding and that’s it, worth a try :0)

Tracy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags