supply and demand

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing supply and demand

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

pat Cottam

The subject of supply and demand seems very apt at the moment and is difficult with the weather cinditions.Just keep smiling!

I have a lot of demand but if growing in the pollytunnel earlier in the year have the concern of running out of spring water but have more rapid growth.

Growing outside, the growth with the colder weather at present is slower and although looking healthy am always tasting for signs of bitterness which often seems to come earlier when growth is slow also dependant on varieties. Gales and rain are further impediments.

Am thinking of cloching as have lots of old barn cloches but don’t like to change the growing conditions too much for the plants, would rather they were conditioned to the present and just as always take it as it is.

Unfortunately people wanting salad in large quantities seem to think it can be picked to demand just like picking up bags in the supermarket.

Have to say I really enjoy it when I can grow more variation and plant up a tunnel for overwintering by far my most enjoyable growing time without the lack of water and great growth in the spring to look forward to. Looking forward now to Rockets and Mustards.

Any tips to increase supply would be grateful.

charles

I worry before every picking that there will be too few leaves, but so far have never suffered a shortfall, even this spring in the slow-growing weather. Demand has been strong, partly I think because gardeners have less leaves than usual, and restaurants are busy around here.

How is there enough? It is thanks to rich soil (clay and well composted on the surface, yet also north facing), growing more plants than would be needed in warm weather, growing plenty of lettuce (March to September) and suffering few slug losses, using fleece, careful picking which includes leaving an extra leaf on lettuce if a cold week is forecast, so that the plant grows back more quickly, and having a reserve of spinach and a few extra lettuce allowed to grow on without picking, for any supplementary harvests.

It is all attention to detail and skill. I should not say that myself but you don’t learn it all overnight. This year I have noticed wonderfully little mildew or slug damage on outdoor leaves, in continual rain and dullness. Growing vegetables for buyers who think it is like turning on a tap is a brilliant, exciting achievement. Don’t underestimate it. Be prepared to compost a surplus when growing conditions are good: to have enough, you need to grow too much, though not, one hopes, by too much.

Enjoy the ride, love your soil and your plants, feel how they like your care. Harvests can then be good, even in difficult weather.

dragonette

I would like to plant some of my vegs out but the weather has been really difficult (wind or rain or wind and rain). Would it help to plant them out and then cover them with a fleece? I’m thinking of lettuce, pumpkins, courgettes, peas, beans…
    I’m worried about slugs and aphids if I use a fleece…and it does feel ridiculous at the end of June! :-)

charles

Yes it has been bizarre for the time of year.
    However the forecast for this week is different, softer breezes and higher temperatures, still unsettled but plants should establish and grow more quickly, before slugs can do too much damage. I would plant them without fleece at this stage.

pat Cottam

Thank you for your pearls of wisdom earned over time and error!

The salad actually looks happier and healthier in these conditions .

Always have salad in the wings,not always at the right time or quantities it seems.

Havn’t quite got the knack on quantities, as you say down to experience.

How many leaves are you generally leaving on the plants to allow for a plus one after picking?

Learn a little bit more each year!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags