Surface sowing?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sue 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

PaulM
    Participant

Hello,

I’m a new member of this forum growing fruit and veg near the Dorset coast. I garden in a suburban plot with space to cultivate edible plants limited to two small strips of earth (roughly 3m by 1m); a greenhouse border; and a plastic cold frame. I’m looking to convert other areas of the garden for fruit and veg but it’s not proving easy due to number of issues – ease of access, shade, cats and foxes, etc.

My first question is about the benefits of surface sowing veg seed. A month ago I surface sowed three varieties of lettuce as opposed to my usual practice of lightly covering the seed. All of the varieties have shown an increased germination rate. Do other members surface sow specific seed?

Many thanks.

charles

Usually I cover lightly. In winter when compost dries out less, surface sowing is more viable, but the only seeds I do not cover at all are celery, celeriac, antirrhinum and sometimes lettuce.
    Somehow one always wants to tuck up seeds with more compost/soil/whatever on top than they need, its something to watch out for.

PaulM
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, Charles. Yes, I suspect I’ve covered seed more than is necessary on occasions. I suppose it helps to have in mind how seed would germinate if left to their own devices, as it were.

davithjo
    Participant

Paul I thought I would let you know that I had major problems last year in lettuce Red Grenoble and I was advised by Don Foley to try sowing the seed on the surface of the compost. To cut a long story short Charles also advised to try and save my own seed which I did last summer. This week I have sown a small batch of seeds using B & Q Verve multi purpose compost, which I have used with success for several years, and low and behold after 3 days the seeds have germinated. This I may add was using a 7 tray heated propagator. That proves certainly with lettuce seed you don’t have to cover the seed for success.

Rhys
    Participant

I have just successfully germinated lettuce seed using surface sowing – sown 20th February, clear signs of germination 23rd February. Strain was Bionda a Foglia Liscia.

PaulM
    Participant

davithjo, Rhys, thanks for your comments. Red Grenoble is on my ‘to get’ list after reading about its qualities on this forum. I think I’ll surface sow all my lettuce seed from now. Not sure if it germinates quicker uncovered or whether observing the process right from the start just gives that impression.

sue
    Participant

Hi All, I’ve just joined this forum today. Are you talking about surface sowing outside in the garden or in trays in the greenhouse?
    Also, can you explain how you would sow seeds on a no dig garden which is covered with a mulch of garden compost?
    Thanks!

Rhys
    Participant

Sue – I’m talking about sowing in trays inside. My comments assumed everyone else was too!

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi All,
    I generally start my Lettuce seeds off indoors. But if your going to start them outside you only need to barely cover, basically to prevent them blowing away.
    The one thing you need to keep an eye on when sowing indoors is temperature, too hot and they will not germinate.
    Don.

peat
    Participant

with soil blocks you rarely cover seeds. Advice is to cover brassica seeds but I never do and germination is good

PaulM
    Participant

Sue, yes, I was talking about surface sowing indoors. I hadn’t even thought of it applying for outdoor sowing . I generally start most of my seed in trays before potting on and then planting out.

sue
    Participant

Thank you all for your comments. Very interesting. I have always covered my seeds with (probably way too much) compost. I shall certainly be trying the ‘no cover’ method now!

Thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags